Wednesday, September 22, 2010

15 Pharmacy Rules for Patients

Pharmacy Rule #1: If your name looks like a set of Scrabbles tiles don't yell at me if I butcher it.

Pharmacy Rule #2: I can only explain your insurance only covers 30 days worth of medication instead of 90 in so many ways before I give up. I am not bad at dumbing things down, you may just not be that intelligent.

Pharmacy Rule #3: If you don't know the date of birth or address for the prescription you are picking up, I do not know how to sell it to you. Double checks are there for a reason.

Pharmacy Rule #4: If I tell you your refill is too soon and you try to have it transferred to a different pharmacy, I will make sure the other pharmacist knows it's too soon and that you are a current problem for me. Therefore they won't fill it either.

Pharmacy Rule #5: If you try to get you pain medication filled too early repeatedly you will get a nice note in your profile that will let other pharmacists know this.

Pharmacy Rule #6: Respect. Respect the pharmacist and the technicians. Respect is mutual and if you don't respect us, we will not respect you.

Pharmacy Rule #7: If you do not think something is correct please feel free to ask. If you do I will look into it and try to correct and problem willingly. If you yell and make a scene, I probably will not go out of my way (unless it's truly bad).

Pharmacy Rule #8: If you simply say thanks or show that you appreciate my work, I will bust my hump for your gratitude and take care of you.

Pharmacy Rule #9: If I can't read it, I can't fill it. I will try to clarify any issue, unless you act indignant towards the fact that my effort and care may take a few more minutes to ensure YOU get what YOU need.

Pharmacy Rule #10: Your physician isn't always right. Neither am I and neither are you. Everyone's human, so there is no reason to go crazy about something if it's small. If it's big bring to my attention as politely as possible and it WILL be resolved.

Pharmacy Rule #11: Controlled medications are controlled for a reason. This is why I can not fill them early. Drug abuse is real and very serious. No early controls. Period.

Pharmacy Rule #12: I see more patients than any other medical professional and do it fast and accurate. If I need extra time to ensure something is correct, please allow it. It is YOUR health.

Pharmacy Rule #13: If you think my hold time sucks, feel free to call your own insurance company. I do it all the time for YOUR gain, not mine. Trust me it sucks 5 times worse.

Pharmacy Rule #14: There are many pharmacies and pharmacists out there. If you and I don't get along or see eye to eye, feel free to venture elsewhere for BOTH of our sanities.

Pharmacy Rule #15: I became a pharmacist to help people. I did not go through 6 years or more of college, stay up countless hours studying and busting my hump to be a pain in your side or to play God as some may accuse me of. I use knowledge, legalities and logic to ensure what I am doing is the best for my patients and others. This is why I am a pharmacist.

That is all of my pharmacy rules for patients.

Until I can think of more.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious as to why so many doctors won't allow refills on so many scripts. I know why for Oxy or antibiotics but some that appear routine. It also varies from doctor to doctor. Some doctors they'll give you 2 refills of weight loss or ED drug but other want you to come in every month.

    ReplyDelete